Have you ever seen someone do wood burning?
Wood burning is also known as pyrography and if you see it once, it is difficult to forget.
Although it looks pretty awesome, you really don’t need that much to get started yourself.
In this article, we will go over the best pyrography pens for beginners so you can start wood burning in no time.
What to Consider When Looking for the Best Wood Burning Tools
There are a ton of different pyrography pen and tools on the market. Which makes finding the most suitable wood burning tools for beginners a tricky task.
When buying wood burning tools there are many factors to keep in mind. Here is a short list of things to check before you purchase.
- Adjustable Tips: when you are painting you need to use a variety of different brushes depending on the situation. Similarly, being able to change between differently sized tips for your pyrography pen is useful to have, especially if you are looking for wood burning art tools.
- Temperature Control: if you are planning on drawing with your pyrography pen, you will need one that can operate at different temperatures to achieve different degrees of burning in the wood. Additionally, if you work with a wide variety of different woods, you will need to be able to adjust the pen to the right temperature.
- Quick Heating Function: wood burning required very warm temperatures. To save yourself time, you probably want to purchase a tool with a quick heating function.
- Comfort: wood burning is not for highly impatient people. It is a relatively slow process compared to drawing or painting. Since you will be holding the pyrography pen for long periods at a time, make sure it is comfortable to hold and not too heavy.
- Portability: most wood burning will probably be done at home, so portability is not a huge factor for the most of us. However, if you do plan on traveling with your wood burning tools you want them to be easy to transport and not too big. Especially some of the cheap wood burning kits are smaller in size and come in a casing that makes it easy to store and transport. However, these cheap pyrography pens don’t produce the same results as more high-quality ones.
- Price: it is of course a no-brainer to consider price when purchasing wood burning tools. But it is important to know what you can get for certain price ranges. If you are looking for wood burning tools for beginners, you will have to spend around $50 to get started. If you need more reliable results and greater precision, you will need to buy professional wood burning tools that can cost $200 or more.
Wood Burning Safety
Although wood burning is a great way to channel your creativity and make stunning woodworks. However, it is important to always keep safety in mind.
You will see some smoke appear when you burn the wood. If you breathe in this smoke it might harm your health. It is a smart idea to keep windows open and/or use some kind of fan to create as much air circulation as possible.
The toxicity depends on the type of wood you are burning. So before you start any new project, make sure to look into any possible health issues.
It is also advisable not to use any wood that has been modified with chemicals such as plywood. Since these chemicals will mix in with the smoke.
Finally, just like a hot iron, you don’t want to leave your pyrography machine alone while it is still on. Or else you might end up burning more than just some wood.
What Is The Best Wood For Burning?
There are many different types of wood you can use for wood burning or wood carving. However, for wood burning it is generally easier to use softwood with minimal grain, such as Basswood. Since basswood has a pretty light grain, the burning will show up really clearly.
Hardwoods on the other hand normally require higher temperatures and more time to obtain a similar result.
Other types of wood that are used pretty often are Pine, Aspen and Maple.
Regardless of the type of wood you are using, make sure that the wood is unfinished and doesn’t contain any chemicals on its surface for safety reasons.
Best Wood Burning Tool for Beginners
I hope I didn’t scare you too much with all the talk about safety.
Of course, wood burning can be incredibly fun and rewarding if you are a little bit careful and know what you are doing.
If you are still looking for the best wood burner tool to start with, check out our recommendations below.
Best Wood Burning Kit For Beginners
As a beginner, you probably want to buy a relatively cheap pyrography pen kit that will still let you experience wood burning to the fullest. They are great if you are taking your first online woodburning class.
The reason for this is the 11 interchangeable points that come with the Creative Versa. Depending on the project, you will be able to choose between the universal, flow, hot knife, tapered, calligraphy, solder, shading, transfer and three hot stamp points.
This pyrography burner is a great tool to have in combination with a set of carving tools.
Moreover, by slightly changing the settings, you can use the Creative Versa tool not only on wood but also on leather, canvas, card, plastic and some other materials.
It comes with clear instruction and is straightforward to use. So even beginning wood burnings will be able to get started on their own. The design also includes a small heat shield that will keep you safe from most harm.
At this low price point, it would be difficult to find a better wood burning tool than the Creative Versa. It is easy to use and can be a great introductory tool to pyrography, without having to spend too much money.
Best Professional Wood Burning Kit
If you have outgrown your old tools and ready to up your game, then it might be time to get yourself a profession wood burner.
These tools will provide you with much better control and versatility. You pretty much will be able to draw whatever you want, on whatever wood you want.
We recommend using the TRUArt professional woodburning detailer tool.
With almost twice the amount of tips compared to compared to the Creative Versa, you will be able to take on any project with accuracy and precision you could only have dreamt of before.
Additionally, this pyrography pen has a digital temperature control, which makes it much easier to select the exact temperature you need. No longer will you end up with super dark spots because the tip was a little warmer than expected.
Although you have 20 different tips at your disposal, you will probably be using 2 or 3 tips for most of the work. This is what makes having 2 pens so useful. Rather than continuously changing the tips, you can simply change pens and save yourself a bunch of time. Don’t waste the second pen by keeping in a closet as a spare!
Overall, this TRUArt professional wood burning detailer is definitely a step up from a beginner’s pyrography pen. Both in term of price and quality. However, after upgrading your tools to this kit, you will instantaneously feel the difference that a profession pyrography pen makes.