If you are interested in learning pottery, then you have come to the right place. Regardless if you just want to take a class for fun, or if you want to take pottery more serious.
On this page you will find all our articles for new potters that will help you get started.
Every beginner should start by learning the fundamentals of pottery. You need to have a general idea of all the steps required to turn a lump of clay into a pot.
Moreover, there are different types of pottery. Each with their own techniques and challenges.
Here is a list of our articles explaining the basics and answering some frequently asked questions:
- How hard is pottery to learn?
- How to get into pottery?
- What are ceramic materials?
- What is the difference between ceramics and pottery?
- The pottery making process explained in 9 steps
- What is the difference between stoneware and earthenware?
- What is the difference between stoneware and porcelain?
- A beginner’s guide to glazing
- What is crazing and how to prevent it?
- How to repair hairline cracks in pottery?
- Which types of ceramics are microwave safe?
- Which types of ceramic are dishwasher safe?
- What is someone that makes pottery called?
- Firing pottery without a kiln: good idea or not?
- How hot does a kiln get during firing?
- What are cones and how are they used in pottery?
- Gift ideas for potters
Pottery Supplies & Equipment
Now that you have some of the basics down, it’s time to gear up!
If you are signing up for a pottery class, most materials are normally included. But if you are a home potter, you’ll have to invest in some of the essentials.
A pottery wheel and kiln are one time purchases that can cost a big chunk of money. Buying secondhand or using a communal pottery studio could be good alternatives if you can’t afford to buy new ones.
Here are a few buying guides that will help you choose carefully:
- The best pottery wheel + buying guide
- How expensive is a pottery wheel?
- What to look for in a used pottery wheel?
- Which type of clay should I use?
- What is air dry clay and should you use it?
- How expensive is pottery clay?
- Best kilns for home usage?
- How much does a kiln cost + firing cost?
- Everything you need to set up a home pottery studio
Fun & Creative Pottery Ideas
Every pottery should begin by learning how to throw a simple cup and plate. But once you mastered the basics, you’ll quickly want to try some more exciting projects.
Here is a list of all our pottery ideas: